Motor Vehicle Commission Surcharges

New Jersey law requires the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) to collect surcharges from motorists whose driving records include certain offenses. These surcharges are in addition to any court imposed fines and penalties or any premiums assessed by automobile insurance companies.

You are responsible for paying the surcharge even if you move out of the state. The surcharge is imposed regardless of your current license, registration and insurance status. You can find more information on the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission website.

Which Violations Are Subject To Surcharges?

Alcohol & Drug Related Offenses

Motor vehicle offenses related to alcohol and drugs are always subject to surcharges. If you were convicted of:

  • In-state DUI (driving under the influence of liquor or drugs) on or after February 10, 1983
  • Out-of-state DUI on or after January 26, 1984
  • Refusal to submit to chemical test on or after January 26, 1984

the surcharge will be $1,000 a year for three years, if this was your first or second violation. A surcharge of $1,500 for three years is imposed for a third or subsequent violation that occurs within three years of the first violation.

If you are convicted of both drunk driving and refusal resulting from the same arrest, you will only receive one surcharge.

Point Violations

The following surcharges pertain only to points accrued on or after February 10, 1983.

If you accumulate six or more points within a period of three years you must pay an insurance surcharge of $100 for the first six points and $25 for each additional point. The point surcharge will remain in effect as long as you have six or more points on your record resulting from violations posted in the immediate past three years. The accumulation is calculated from the posting date to your driving record, not when the violations occurred.

Point reductions issued for one year of violation or suspension-free driving, or for completion of a driver improvement school or defensive driving course are not considered in reviewing the three year record for surcharge purposes.

Again, these surcharges are in addition to any surcharge that your insurance company might levy upon you.

Other actions subject to surcharges

The following surcharges pertain to offenses that occurred on or after March 19, 1984, and are assessed annually for a period of three years.

  • Unlicensed driver – $100.00
  • Riding an uninsured Moped – $100.00
  • Driving while suspended, court or MVC reported – $250.00
  • No liability insurance on motor vehicle – $250.00

If your operating privileges are suspended as a result of failure to pay insurance surcharges and you are convicted of operating while suspended, the court is mandated to impose an additional $3,000 fine. Pay the surcharge in full before your court appearance to avoid this extra fine.

How Do I Pay The Surcharge?

Surcharge bills are printed on State of New Jersey-Automobile Insurance Surcharge and Collections (NJ-AISC) letterhead. These notices are different from premiums due to your insurance carrier. You must pay NJ-AISC by the due date printed on the bill.

Payment can be made by:

  • Mail using the return portion of the billing notice
  • In-person at one of the four regional service centers located in Wayne, West Deptford, Eatontown or Trenton
  • Visa, MasterCard or Discover by calling 1-888-651-9999

If there is a mistake in your billing, or if you have any questions, you can write to:

  • NJ-AISC Surcharge Billing Office
    P.O. Box 4775
    Trenton, NJ 08650-4775

You should include a daytime phone number and your New Jersey driver’s license number.

What If My Check Bounces?

For returned checks (insufficient funds) you will receive an indefinite suspension of your driving privilege and a notice for an additional $25 payment. This dishonored check notice or letter has instructions for satisfying the fee.

What Happens If I Fail To Pay?

If you fail to pay the surcharge in full, or begin an installment payment plan (IPP) by that date, your NJ driving privilege will be suspended until the minimum requirement is paid to NJ-AISC and a separate $100 restoration fee is posted to your NJ motor vehicle record. Never operate a motor vehicle until you have received confirmation that your NJ driving privilege is in good standing.

Failure to pay will result in the filing of a certificate of debt (judgment) in the NJ Superior Court to collect the unpaid principal, plus added collection costs and interest.

If the judgment remains unpaid, MVC is authorized to use provision of the Set-Off of Individual Liability program (SOIL) by withholding potential tax refunds and rebates processed by the NJ Division of Taxation.

What If I Move?

Surcharge notices are mailed to the last address of record. If you move, the law requires that you notify Motor Vehicle Services within seven days. Call 1-888-486-3339 toll free in NJ or 1-609-292-6500 from out of state or write to:

  • MVC Change of Address
    P.O. Box 016
    Trenton, NJ 08666-0016

You may also change your address by using the tear-off portion of the surcharge payment envelope and mailing it with your payment.

If you move out of state, you must report all changes of address until you have satisfied the surcharge requirements.

What Does New Jersey Do With The Money?

Revenue generated is used to repay $705 million in bonds sold to eliminate the debt of the Market Transition Facility (MTF). The MTF provided auto insurance to those unable to obtain coverage in the voluntary market.

Part of the revenue is also designed for alcohol rehabilitation for drunk drivers.

(877) 735-2288
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Evan Levow - instructor of field sobrietyState V. Chun Button
(877) 735-2288
Home » New Jersey DWI Penalties And Consequences » Motor Vehicle Commission Surcharges
(856) 428-5055
A New Jersey DWI Law Firm.
1415 Marlton Pike East, #400
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
Get Directions
"GO WITH EVAN! Evan got my DWI dropped completely. It still amazes me how he was able to do so, considering my personal circumstance. But if you are considering Levow DWI Law go with them."
Levow DWI Law, P.C. Reviewed by KL on Jan 6
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Rating: 5.0 ★★★★★
Copyright 2021 Levow DWI Law, P.C. This website is to be considered as attorney advertising. Use of this website does not form an attorney-client relationship. Our headquarters is in Cherry Hill, NJ. All other offices are by appointment only.
Awards methodologies