New Jersey is full of interesting museums that cover a wide range of topics. Just about everyone can find a museum that’s catered to one of their interests. History buffs will especially appreciate the Museum of American History at Deptford, NJ. This educational museum is a family-friendly experience where kids and parents can learn about the long and complicated history of our proud nation. Out Woodbury DWI lawyers love visiting here with our kids or when history-loving relatives and friends are in town. Some of our favorite parts of the museum include:
The museum offers a wide range of exhibits, covering the history of the Americas beginning in Precolumbian times and progressing through to the farming history of the southern New Jersey region. Exhibits currently offered at the museum include:
- Precolumbian – This expansive exhibit covers the Paleo-Indians through the Late Woodland Periods, including a profile of 15,000 years of tool evolution.
- Fossil – Covers all fossil periods in chronological order.
- Glass Ceramic – Glass ceramics from a wide range of time periods, found in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, and Georgia.
- Antique Tools and Equipment – A large selection of 19th and early 20th-century equipment and tools.
- Colonial and Pine Barrens – A look into colonial times in Georgia, Florida, Philadelphia, and New Jersey with a focus on the “ghost towns” of Friendship, Washington, Quaker Bridge, and Oswego.
- Farmstead – A look at antique farm equipment from Maple Shade, Pennsauken, Marlton, Deptford, and Delaware Township.
The Museum of American History often holds events and temporary exhibits focusing on specific periods of American History.
Recently, the museum wrapped up its Civil War Exhibit. This magnificent exhibit featured a cornucopia of Civil War artifacts, uniforms, artwork, and various other memorabilia from this turning point in American History.
On the upcoming schedule, the museum will be hosting an Antique Toy Train Show from November 23, 2018, through January 27, 2019. Antique toy train lovers will be mesmerized by the collection on display here, including O and O-27 gauge toy trains from the 1930’s, 1940’s, and 1950’s. Other highlights will include a race between Lionel, Marx and American Flyer engines with adjoining cares, vintage Plasticville buildings from the 1950s, and vegetation and auxiliary structures.
About the Museum of American History at Deptford, NJ
In 1996, the Museum of American History opened in Berlin, New Jersey. This was the home of the museum until 2006, when it moved to Glassboro in Gloucester County. In January of 2017, the museum found its present home in Deptford. This museum focuses on the cultural history of the United States, with a special focus on South Jersey.